Part five of the Savvy Series (find parts 1-4 here) heads to Melbourne! From hipster cafes to urban street art, check out these 15 things to do in Melbourne without breaking the bank:
- Travel on trams within the CBD area is free, so hop on board and start exploring the city.
- The Queen Victoria Market is jam packed with fresh produce and specialty delicatessens. Get yourself a hot doughnut from American Doughnut Kitchen and browse through the endless stalls of clothes, jewellery and handmade arts and crafts.
- Take the train to Brighton Beach and check out the colourful bathing boxes. This is a popular spot for those of you looking for something Instagram-worthy.
- Admire some urban street art in Melbourne’s laneways. Hosier Lane and Union Lane are a good place to start.
- Looking for some treasure? The Lost & Found Market is full of vintage clothing, furniture, records, books and more.
- Melbourne is known for their food scene. Grab some ricotta hotcakes at The Kettle Black or a burger and milkshake at Royal Stacks.
- Visit the penguins at St Kilda Pier. The penguins are around all year long and the best viewing time is just after sunset.
- Take the kids to Collingwood Children’s Farm where they can get up close with real farm animals.
- Enjoy a cocktail at one of Melbourne’s hidden bars such as Jungle Boy and Fall from Grace. Can you figure out how to get in?
- Load the car up with snacks and take a drive down the Great Ocean Road. Stop by the 12 Apostles and the countless beaches and waterfalls along the way.
- Complete the Elwood to Sandringham walk. This 16km return trip is an easy beachside stroll. Bring your swimmers for a quick dip at the beach afterwards.
- If you’re up for a workout, try the 1,000 Steps Kokoda Track Memorial Walk. Located in the Dandenong Ranges National Park, this walk is more of a steep climb. Along the way, you’ll see plaques describing the lives of those who fought on the real Kokoda Trail.
- Relive your childhood and play against your friends at one of Melbourne’s vintage video game bars. Bartronica, Pixel Alley and Forgotten Worlds are just a few.
Have some secret Melbourne hot spots of your own? Share them with us in the comments!
P.S. Want another Savvy tip? Check your credit score for free at Credit Savvy.