- A visit to the Gallery Of Modern Art (GOMA) is a great way to spend a day and entry is free. They even have a Children’s Art Centre with interactive installations and activities to keep the kids entertained for hours.
- Pack a picnic and head about 15 minutes out of the city centre up Mt Coot-ha into the Brisbane Botanic Gardens and enjoy the views over the city.
- Spend an hour or two enjoying the water views while riding the City Cat Ferry along the Brisbane River.
- If the heat gets too much for you head to Streets Beach. Situated on the banks of the Brisbane River, it’s Australia’s only inner-city man-made beach and boasts a sparkling lagoon with white sand, tropical plants and patrolling lifeguards year round.
- Hire a City Cycle bike and ride along the river or wherever you choose from the trendy suburb of New Farm to the University at St Lucia. The bikes are free for 30mins and under.
- There is always something on at the Brisbane Powerhouse, including markets every Saturday, and if you’re in the mood for a laugh, they host a free ‘Knockoff’ stand-up comedy event every Friday night.
- If markets are your thing, head to the Bakery Lane Provodore Markets on the first Saturday of every month or the Riverside Garden Markets every Sunday which are set in the beautiful Brisbane Botanic Gardens to make it an even nicer experience.
- For something different why not head to the Holey Moley Golf Club, a mini-golf/cocktail bar inside an old church in Fortitude Valley, open from 10am til late.
- Get a retro outdoor cinema experience at the Eat Street Drive in movies every Friday and Saturday night. With the Brisbane River and City views as your backdrop, the novelty won’t wear off as you get your food and drinks delivered to you via a crew member on a Segway.
- Get your group together and head to the Kangaroo Point Cliffs which offer impressive views and also gas cylinder BBQs for you to use.
Have some budget-friendly Brisbane tips of your own? Please share in the comments!
P.S. If you’re feeling extra savvy, why not check your credit score for free?