While the Credit Savvy team love finding a great deal when it comes to all things credit, we also enjoy discovering fun, inexpensive things to do when it comes to our time off. We’re kicking off our Savvy Series by starting with our hometown – here are some of our favourite things to do in Sydney on the cheap:
- Whether you’re running, walking or cycling, the Bay Run is a great 7km circuit that loops around parks, mangroves and the Iron Cove shoreline.
- Dollar dogs at the Soda Factory, Surry Hills – $1 for a hotdog on Tuesday nights is a pretty sweet deal in our books.
- Peruse the street art around Newtown and Enmore, finishing up at the renowned Young Henry’s brewery – a tasting paddle will cost you $15.
- Find clothing, crafts and accessories at the Paddington markets every Saturday.
- Rainy day? Don’t despair – indoor rock climbing at Sydney Indoor Climbing Gym, St Peters costs a family (up to 5) $65 + $5 joining fee.
- Catch a ferry – you could head to Balmain, one of Sydney’s oldest suburbs complete with sandstone buildings and grand pubs, or ferry to Watson’s Bay and take the coastal walk to see Hornby Lighthouse.
- Enjoy some salsa dancing at the Cuban Place on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Head to Blacktown’s drive-in theatre to watch a movie in the comfort of your car. Tickets are just $11 per person.
- Picnic in one of Sydney’s many beautiful parks – whether it’s Centennial Park in the east, Sydney Park in the Inner West, or the Royal Botanic Gardens in the city, there’s no shortage of options.
- Of course, we can’t forget the countless beaches that dot our coastline. Bronte Beach, Avalon Beach and Shelly Beach are just a handful of the beaches worth considering, or if you’re feeling energetic, get five of the local favourites under your belt in one go by doing the coastal Bondi to Coogee walk (approx. 2 hrs).
- Barefoot Yoga studio in Paddington offers donation-based yoga classes.
- Fancy a cocktail? Sydney has plenty of small bars to choose from – get started with Lobo Plantation or Assembly.
- The White Rabbit Gallery showcases Chinese contemporary art and offers free admission from Wednesday to Sunday.
- The famous Spit Bridge to Manly walk is a stunning 10km walk that takes about 3 hours to complete. Commuting home on the Manly ferry isn’t a bad way to finish the day either.
We hope you’ve found a few new things to try in this great city. If you have any more great tips and freebies, please let us know in the comments!
P.S. You know what else is savvy? Checking your credit score for free.